Building and Permits
The Building Division performs plan review and inspections on new residential and commercial properties. Residential permits are required for any new home, as well as for decks, sheds, pools, basement finishes, additions and major alterations. Residential rental occupancy permits are required before occupying the unit. Commercial permits are required for any new commercial project including alterations or additions. This division is also responsible for the planning and implementation of the City’s adopted building codes and ordinances.
The division is located on the second floor of O'Fallon Municipal Centre (City Hall), 100 North Main Street. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Scheduling an inspection can be completed by logging into the CitizenServe portal using the button above. Inspections scheduled using the portal are typically completed the next day. Rental occupancy inspections may require two (2) day’s notice prior to an inspection being conducted depending on when the request is received. Questions may be directed to 636-379-5660.
- Do you need a permit?: Please refer to the next tab to see if your project requires a permit.
- Submittal requirements: Each permit type has different submittal requirements. Understand what you'll need to provide to get started with our guides.
- Register on our online portal: Once registered you can apply for permits, see the review status, schedule inspections and more. Register for a free account.
- Apply for a permit: Once you've gathered everything needed for your application and registered on our portal, you can apply and pay your permit application fees.
A permit is required for projects such as new construction, additions, remodels and repairs to electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems. Projects that require a permit include:
- Small Projects: Fences, Decks / Porches / Sunrooms, Patio Covers / Pergolas, Sheds, Pools and Hot Tubs, Retaining Walls, Water heaters, HVAC Replacement
- Alterations / Additions: Room Additions, Basement Finishes, Fire / Wind / Impact Damage, Structural Modifications, Altering, replacing or relocating systems
- New Construction / Use: New buildings, Change of Use, Garages, Alterations, Grading / Land Disturbance
- Miscellaneous Projects: Temporary Structures, Dumpsters, Driveways, Solar Panels, Demolition, Signs
- Temporary signs: Freestanding – Banners- Specialty display – Project identification - Annual
- Permanent signs: Wall – Freestanding – Multi-Tenant – Interchange
- Weekend directional
- Manage your Projects
- Pay Fees
- Submit documents
- Schedule an inspection
- Review Progress
Current Codes and Adoptive Ordinances
- Access O'Fallon's ICC Codes – View and use O'Fallon's ICC Codes, with ordinance changes included, for free.
- City of O'Fallon Permit Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Open in the "O" brochure (PDF) – A guide to opening a business in O'Fallon
Please note: The City of O'Fallon is served by multiple independent fire districts that are separate governmental entities and do not fall under the authority of the City of O'Fallon. These districts may require their own building permit. Please contact the appropriate district for more information. The districts are:
- Central County Fire & Rescue
- Cottleville Fire Protection District
- Lake Saint Louis Fire Protection District
- New Melle Fire Protection District
- O'Fallon Fire Protection District
- Wentzville Fire Protection District
- View a map of the fire districts (PDF)
Contact Building staff
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Building Division's main telephone line at 636-379-5660. You may also contact the employees below directly:
|Chris Gaw, Building and Code Enforcement Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org||636-379-5432|
|Nathan Lacey, Building Officialemail@example.com||636-379-5597|
|Debbie Cammann, Administrative Assistantfirstname.lastname@example.org||636-379-5599|
|Cortney Hallemeier, Building Permit Technicianemail@example.com||636-379-5495|
|Randy Garner, Commercial Building Inspectorfirstname.lastname@example.org||636-379-5402|
|Nick Beelek, Residential Building Inspectoremail@example.com||636-379-5594|
|Brian Burke, Residential Building Inspectorfirstname.lastname@example.org||636-379-5598|
|Joe Garner, Residential Building Inspectoremail@example.com||636-379-4122|
|Scott Dabney, Residential Plans Examinerfirstname.lastname@example.org||636-379-5564|