The Environmental Service trucks are automated; therefore, our drivers do not routinely exit their vehicle. Please have your container at the curb no later than 6:30 a.m.
Refuse is the solid waste resulting from day-to-day activities in, and maintenance of, a dwelling unit. All refuse set out for collection must comply with the following:
- By law, only non-hazardous solid refuse can be collected.
- Any refuse which has reactive, corrosive, ignitable or toxic properties cannot be disposed of with your household trash.
- Refuse mixed with yard waste cannot be collected, as it has been banned from landfills.
- By law, liquids cannot be collected.
- Non-hazardous liquids, such as latex paint, may be mixed with an absorbent such as kitty litter, but it must be completely dry prior to collection.
- Hazardous liquids, such as gasoline, motor oil or muriatic acid (chemical used to clean swimming pools), should be taken to a facility/processor capable of handling these types of materials.
- “Sharps” such as syringes or lancets must be contained in rigid containers such as empty bleach or detergent bottles or specialized containers available at pharmacies. Please do not use coffee cans, milk jugs or glass containers.
Please contact St. Charles County Recycle Works at 636-949-7900 (Ext. 4271) for more information of disposal of items that may not be placed in your City trash cart.
Proper Positioning of Carts
To ensure that your trash and recycle cans are picked up and properly emptied, please follow these guidelines when placing your cans at the curb on pick-up days.
|☒ Do not block your cart with vehicles or other obstructions.
☑ Do keep the area clear around your cart.
|☒ Do not set your carts too close together.
☑ Do leave adequate space between your carts.
|☒ Do not set your cart next to the mailbox, basketball rims or other objects.
☑ Do set your cart away from objects in your yard or driveway.
☒ Do not set boxes next to carts.
☒ Nothing outside the cart will be picked up. Schedule a bulk pickup by calling 636-272-0477.
Additional Refuse Carts
As an optional service, the City offers residents the option of renting additional carts in two sizes for those who may need additional capacity. An additional 64-gallon cart is $5 per month or an additional 96-gallon cart is $8 per month. A six-month commitment is required. Personal carts (64 gallons or less) can ONLY be used for yard waste and the City is not responsible for any damage. No personal carts for trash or recycling.
Types of Refuse Carts