Lost Pet

The O'Fallon Police Department's Animal Control/Park Patrol Section deals with domesticated animals and specific wildlife nuisance cases.

The Section addresses animal complaints regarding barking dogs, at large animals and strays, dog/cat bites or scratches, unwanted pets, humane trapping of pets, and lost and found pets. Park Rangers also uphold the City's animal ordinances and violations occurring within the City's parks.

View Animal Definitions and Ordinances in Municipal Code

Important information for pet owners

The City of O’Fallon’s leash law requires that pets that are off the owner’s premises be kept on a leash and under the owner’s control at all times.

Dogs, cats and ferrets must also have current rabies vaccinations and identification.

Animal bites/scratches

As a pet owner, you are fully responsible for reporting an animal bite or scratch when your pet is the animal in question. If a bite or scratch breaks human skin, the animal must be quarantined for a period of 10 days. If your pet is vaccinated, then it may be quarantined at your home. If not, the animal must be quarantined at the City’s designated kennel for a 10-day period. A fee will be assessed to you to cover the cost of your pet’s care.

Lost pet information

If you have lost your pet, please call the O'Fallon Police Dispatch at 636-240-3200; press 1 for Animal Control and report your lost pet. Please be sure to include your name, phone number, a description of your pet, and when you lost the pet. Please also be sure to include any other unique identification or special markings which can help identify your animal.

Claiming an impounded pet

If we are unable to immediately identify or contact the owner of an animal in our custody, we will transport the animal to St. Charles County Animal Control (“The Pet Adoption Center”), 4850 Mid Rivers Mall Dr, St. Peters, MO 63376. It is important to identify and claim your pet as soon as possible to save on confinement fees.

Claiming an impounded pet is a two-part process.

  1. First, owners must obtain an impoundment release form from the O’Fallon Police Records Department. Otherwise, the animal shelter cannot release the pet. Owners must show identification (such as a driver’s license) and proof of the pet’s current rabies vaccination, if possible, and also pay the applicable fines. The Records Department is located in the Police Department, 1019 Bryan Road, O’Fallon 63366. Office hours are 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday – Friday.
  2. Next, the owner must bring the O’Fallon Police Department’s official release to St. Charles County Animal Control (“The Pet Adoption Center”) during the center’s regular business hours, which are:
    • Monday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
    • Tuesday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
    • Wednesday, 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
    • Thursday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
    • Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
    • Saturday – CLOSED
    • Sunday – CLOSED

Please note, St. Charles County Animal Control (“The Pet Adoption Center”) will only accept CASH or CHECK. To claim a pet, owners must also: Pay the center the daily shelter boarding fees, which begin from the date that the animal is picked up by Animal Control. For questions about St. Charles County Animal Control (“The Pet Adoption Center”) shelter services, visit www.sccmo.org/824/Pet-Adoption-Center or call 636-949-7387.

For more information about claiming an animal, please call the O’Fallon Police Department at 636-240-3200

Pet registration, rabies vaccinations and ID

St. Charles County law requires that all dogs, cats and ferrets be registered, have current rabies vaccinations and display rabies tags and County licenses on their collars. Your veterinarian can vaccinate and register your pet with the County, and issue County rabies tags and licenses. Fees do apply.

To make sure that your pet can be identified in the event that it gets loose, the City of O'Fallon requires that every pet picked up at-large by Animal Control Rangers have a microchip. Simply ask your veterinarian to microchip and register your pet.

Relinquishing an animal

If you have decided for any reason that your pet is not working out in your home, you may relinquish it to the City for a “surrendering fee," provided your pet is deemed “adoptable.”

If your animal is not adoptable, you will be responsible for fees covering the euthanasia charge. Please call us if you have any other questions about relinquishing a pet.

In order to keep the pet population under control, and avoid euthanization of unwanted dogs, cats, puppies and kittens, please spay or neuter your pet.

Animal cruelty

If you observe animal cruelty, it is your duty to contact the Police Department immediately. Animal cruelty includes neglect, such as lack of proper shelter, food and water, and the physical abuse of an animal. Please report any animal cruelty you witness or detect.